What family members must I include on my online application?

On your entry you must list your spouse (husband or wife) and all unmarried children under 21 years of age, with the exception of children who are already U.S. citizens or Legal Permanent Residents.

You must list your spouse even if you are currently separated from him/her, unless you are legally separated (i.e., there is a written agreement recognized by a court or a court order).

If you are legally separated or divorced, you do not need to list your former spouse. You must list ALL your children who are unmarried and under 21 years of age at the time of your initial electronic DV entry, whether they are your natural children, your spouse’s children, or children you have formally adopted in accordance with the laws of your country, unless such child is already a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident.

List all children under 21 years of age at the time of your electronic entry, even if they no longer reside with you or you do not intend for them to immigrate under the DV program.

The fact that you have listed family members on your entry does not mean that they must travel with you. They may choose to remain behind. However, if you include an eligible dependent on your visa application forms that you failed to include on your original entry, your case will be disqualified.

This only applies to those who were family members at the time the original application was submitted, not those acquired at a later date. Your spouse may still submit a separate entry, even though he or she is listed on your entry, as long as both entries include details on all dependents in your family.

Have more questions? Submit a request


  • Avatar
    Simadis Markwell

    QUESTION: If I am a single mother of a child of 2yrs, how should I apply?

    ANSWER: You should apply online on USGCO

  • Avatar
    Yusufj Bmuhagwa

    doesmy spouse and kid also need to apply for the lottery